About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

To Be A Kid Again?

Two cousins who couldn't be more excited about being together... completely oblivious to the baseball game around them

Sword-fighting with the sticks from their suckers
How many times have you thought, “What would it be like to be a kid again?” That thought has gone through my head countless times. There's something about kids that brings such joy. Seeing them experience something for the first time... this has always been one of my favorite things. Watching their eyes as they see new things... Today I took my kids to Petco. No, it's not quite the same thing as a zoo. It's a large pet store, but they've got a couple ferrets, a few reptiles and some birds. To my kids... it was awesome. Charli's giant eyes were so fun to watch as she looked at creatures she had never seen.

Also today...before Kelly left for her trip she left the kids a note. It gave each of them money to enjoy the goodies of the nomad ice cream man that wanders through my neighborhood every day... yes, his van plays the same obnoxious songs over and over again; however, probably the it was probably the sweetest sound my kids have ever heard... especially when they were on the look out today. They knew that today they were golden... there was no question if they were going to get some type of frozen sugar. If they could locate the ice cream man, they were going to get something. The moment Eloise first heard his music her excitement level flew through the roof. It was awesome. Wish I could have videoed the whole thing.
Enjoying the summer... life is good.  Thank you, Ice Cream Man.


Everyone got in on this action.  Charli will voice her opinions whether you ask her or not. 
The simple things that bring children so much joy... so sweet.

I have no idea how many times I've wanted to say to a kid (including my own), “You have no idea how good you've got it! You don't even realize how good your life is!” Ever thought that? Maybe you've said it multiple times.

Today I'm saying something else to myself. Instead of saying (or wanting to say to a kid), “You have no idea how good you've got it.” I'm saying to myself, “You've got no idea how good you've got it, Adam! You don't even know how good your life is!” Feeling very grateful for my life today.

Kelly challenged me and all who read her posts to consider having a “get to” attitude versus a “have to” attitude. It makes a world of difference. It changed my perspective drastically.  Hoping to keep that perspective change.

Choosing joy today. Think it begins with gratitude... for everything. My friend told me to be careful about pursuing joy. It's tricky. I think he's right. He encouraged me to focus on trusting God... His goodness, His sovereignty. I think that's 100% right. As I think more though, I think that trusting God is inherent within true gratitude. Enjoying the rare day that I have a “get to” attitude.

Today I got to have a lot of time with my kids. I got to play adult league soccer. I got to sweat to much that my own body odor disgusted me. I got to serve my kids. I got to do much. Grateful... today. Grateful for what I get to do. Grateful for my life. Grateful for the simple things that I almost always overlook...



No comments:

Post a Comment