About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Full...Name

No, I’m not going to share my full name with you. Thinking of those two words separately, “full,” and, “name.” I think I’ll hit them out of order though.

“Name.” There is power in naming. When Adam (not me, the Adam in the Garden of Eden) was given the permission and authority to name the animals, he was given a huge responsibility. There’s power in naming. I’ve been reminded today of the power of naming. I don’t mean naming animals or even humans… I’m talking about simply naming the reality.

There’s great power in naming what’s going on inside of you. One friend shared with me today his incredible longing for community. He also shared what he is most passionate about… in terms of what he’d like to be about. I offered no “fixes.” I didn’t communicate a three step approach on how to fulfill those things. He didn’t need that. He’s smarter than I am. I just listened. From where I was it appeared there was much power in simply naming the truths that seemed to bring disappointment and frustration.

When I first heard the phrase “guilt management,” something inside of me deeply resonated with those words. I could relate. Much of the guilt has stopped, but I wouldn’t say it stopped right after hearing that phrase. Yet, there was power in naming it.
Naming… now on to the word, “full.” Just want to name some more of what I long for… really desiring more of the Lord. Really desiring life to the full. I’m not talking about a new backpacking adventure every week. Nor am I even talking about improving my old soccer skills and actually contributing in my soccer games (but that‘d be nice)… Been reminded today that maybe, just maybe, the frustratingly common and ordinary activities in my day are also invitations to life to the full. That’s the naming part… not sure how to accept those invitations fully, but giving it much more thought than normal.

Maybe it’s the perspective taken as I take do these ordinary activities. Maybe it’s the lens through which I look as I see them. Anyways, just naming it… I want more. Not speaking in a consumeristic way when I say that I want more… wanting something more valuable than what money can buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment