About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dreams

Recently read a book by a pastor / author who is very well known in the charismatic circle.  The book deeply
blessed me.  One thing the author talked about is how God can speak through any means He chooses.  
He might choose to speak through a very unusual event, or He might repeatedly put something in front
of you.  He could even stir something through a dream.  

Well, after reading this I've often gone to bed rather excited… hopeful that maybe God might stir something
within me while I'm sleeping.  (I've really been wanting some definitive answers on a few things, but He's
wanting what's more important for me than definitive answers.)  Unfortunately, sleep lately would be best
described as restless… it's been what I call, "Stressful sleep."  Feel like I'm dreaming crazy, nonsense 
dreams all night long.  Feel extra exhausted in the morning.

This morning I was sorting through portions of 3 dreams I had last night.  When I was sitting in church, I 
felt like I got some clarity on potential meanings… if they mean anything.

First dream, I'm not sure, but I think I was at school.  Somehow my very large backpack full of stuff was
missing.  This wasn't a school backpack but rather a large backpacking pack.  Immediately, I "knew" that 
someone had stolen it.  Later in the dream I remember thinking that I might have left it in another building 
on the opposite side of the campus.  Anyways, I can't communicate the distress associated with this missing 
backpack.  It had school work.  It had clothes… not even sure what else it had, but It was full of stuff.

Second dream, before I went to bed last night I installed a new wireless router.  Maybe I was thinking about 
that… not sure, but in my dream I remember being obsessive compulsive about being unwilling to
move more than a few feet away from my router.  I felt like the computer wouldn't work unless I was that close.  
Even when I wasn't using the computer I would not let myself break away.  It felt like I was chained to it in some
ways.  Hard to communicate how important and urgent it was that I stay so close.

I could have snorted too much Fun Dip as a kid… maybe that's why I had these dreams.  However, my mind was 
thinking that maybe both dreams are revealing that I bound in certain ways.  Maybe my stuff binds me… like chain 
and shackles.  Of the stuff, what do I really need?  What would it really matter if I lost my stuff?  Probably nothing.  
The router dream… what keeps me bound to my circle of comfort… my circle of familiar?  What is keeping me
from venturing out?  Moving beyond where I've got a signal / understanding / control of the circumstances?

Interesting thing is that before I shared either of these dreams with Kelly today she told me that she was really
feeling the Lord nudge us to re-think of life.  Should we sell tons of stuff and do whatever it takes to pursue
spiritual riches?  What would that look like or mean?  What keeps up from pursuing more of God (=spiritual
riches) more than anything else?  Should we venture out into new, unchartered territory for us?

Those were my first two dreams.  Take it or leave it.  That's been my attitude a lot lately.  Not apologizing.  Again, 
just letting you know.

My third dream… some stranger told me that my chin hair looked ugly.  I've let it grow out a little if I haven't seen 
you in the last week or so.  We'll just say I didn't take this as a word from the Lord.  Enjoying my gray chin for 
the moment.  Guess I share the third dream too just to say that sometimes it's hard to know if and what the Lord's 
saying (if anything) outside from His written word.

1 comment:

  1. Love/hate those unsettling dreams. I used to have a recurrent one where I was stuck in the frame of a third floor window looking from one side to the other and not liking what I saw on either side--go into the darkness inside the building or jump into the unknown a long way down? I don't think it was from Fun Dip but I ate a lot of Sweetarts growing up. Praying that settled and restful sleep visits the Vaughan house and that you can be about the Father's business as He reveals it to you.

    ReplyDelete