About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Another Sabbath

In reverse order… a little about our Sabbath day.  Well, tonight Kel gave me such an incredible gift.  You might have heard that Kel has given me a new name.  If you haven’t heard about this, it might sound strange initially.  If you remember from scripture (both Old and New Testaments), God often renamed people.  The new name better communicated the character and nature of that person.  All believers will receive a new name when they come face to face with Christ again.  Anyways, through what we call, “prophetic words,” spoken by Emmiline, Kel gave me the name, “Good Pastor.”  Below is the picture Kel had printed for me in 2 foot by 3 foot size.
You can see the words on their feet.  Obviously, this really means so much to me.  When I call Kel on the phone, she often refers to me by this new name.  After I lost my job, someone asked me what I did.  It’s a pretty standard question.  Trying to decide how much of an answer this person would really like to hear, I initially paused for a second before responding.  Before I could say anything Kelly said, “You’re a pastor.”  There was much power in that for me.  It was the reminder that God has called me to be a pastor.  Not sure what my next job might be, but I might not have the title of “pastor.”  Regardless of what I will do, I am resting in the fact that I will be a pastor that’s doing it… it doesn’t matter what the job title is.  It was a good reminder of quote I recently read.  “There’s no secular employment for the Christian.”
This morning I was sharing with my family from the book of Acts.  We were talking about the early church… mostly about what they were committed to and what that actually meant.  We went through a passage phrase by phrase.  I’d ask them to explain to me what each portion of scripture meant.  Elliott so desperately wanted to be involved in the discussion.  I think I was talking about the passage that told us how the believers sold their possessions to help those I need.  I started asking them what that meant.  I took notes of what the early church lived and of what my kids said.  Below is Elliott listening and truly contributing…
When I asked one question, Elliott responded, “It means that the Holy Spirit will take care of us.”  Elliott’s 3 years old!  I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.  I asked the others if they heard what he had just said.  They confirmed that he really said that.  Without hesitating I wrote it down… as if I might forget it… obviously, I wouldn’t forget, but I wasn’t sure what to do with such powerful words.
Psalm 8 popped into my head immediately… saying, “From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise.”
No, Elliott’s not repeating something that he has heard us say.  All I can say is I’m taking his words as a reminder of truth… taking his words as encouragement.  Grateful for them.  God allowed Elliott to speak truth.  I believe that’s prophetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment