About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

also given

Pastor's wife here.
Woke up and spent some time with some of my new best friends.  Ahhh... good times.  The V's are still lovingly passing along some serious funk.  As I nearly drowned myself with saline solution, I offered back some pretty unsightly Christmas green muck.  And, I felt affection for my little blue friend.  I remember thinking how crazy this process is... pouring something painful in to get the contamination out.  Anyone that has done the neti pot knows it doesn't feel great, but the results are kind of like a cool science experiment.  Us desperate people can see God in everything... so this morning I was reminded of how God tenderly allows the flow of astringent things into my life while allowing His water to flush out the toxic.  Painful... yep...  embarrassing... often.... unsightly... always....worth it....YES!  I am all for trimming the fat.... which leads to the next portion of my morning...
Pastor and his tree.... what can I say?  Nothing like having your house on the market and your beloved husband bringing home a tree that consumes almost all your family's living space.  I have had much anxiety about this tree.  It is way huge and has required the help of two grown men in addition to Pastor to get this beauty to stand.  We have had several chainsaws running IN OUR HOUSE and have enjoyed using other outdoor devices to trim the tree so we could walk around.  It has fallen over several times, and we have successfully set off multiple fire alarms from the chainsaw smoke.  I am married to Clark Griswold Jr.  

I had pastor trim and trim and trim our new housemate.  After several hours our children are finally free to move about. It is still much too big for our home, but now that it has been cut back I am finally able to see it's true beauty.  It is the loveliest tree we have ever owned.
It's funny how too much excess detracts from the beauty that is already there.  This speaks to my heart as I still wrestle with insecurities.  Being a woman, I long to posses beauty.  Most of my life I have desired worldly beauty over the spiritual.  Now I long for more of the spiritual... partially because I am too tired to bathe most days... but also because I am living proof that external beauty fades.  It's hard to fight against my flesh.  I so desire to be radiant.  I want something to offer... something that is worth treasuring... something unique.  Many days I feel afraid, so I run back to Egypt and I try to "fix myself up."  That whole process just makes me feel heavy... and my focus becomes consuming instead of giving... much like too many branches on a Christmas tree.  It may look grand, but the real beauty that lies within is hidden underneath all that sap.

Back to where I started... the muck and the yuck... and I have plenty... not just the drainage kind... the heart kind too.  My youngest prince has it the worst right now.  I hate seeing those sweet big eyes all sad with sickness.  I admit out of all my children he is spoiled the most.  It's like Pastor and large pine trees, something just comes over me and I simply cannot help myself.  My heart longs to connect with that little prince.  So this morning, I did what any good mother would do, and I gave him whatever he asked... and some extras that weren't asked for.
He and his best-stuffed pal got to watch some serious PBS programs with a side of juice boxes, frosted flakes, chocolate milk and candy canes.  I am aware that this is not equivalent to echinacea, but this formula works wonders over here on Ridgegate. 

This too makes me think... when the Lord is helping us fight off the things that so easily entangle us whether spiritually of physically how many sweet extras He also offers?  I think sometimes we let out circumstances blind us to the others He has also given.  I do believe He loves us better than I could even begin to love my small people.  I think I reflect a portion of my Daddy when I love my children well.  And if I long to bless how much MORE does HE ENJOY BLESSING US?

So... as I return to pine needles and saline-blue filled pots I remember the call to remember the things ALSO GIVEN...

family
money for medication
smiling children
plenty
love
extra large apples
peace
transformation
helpful neighbors
dessert
sibling
parents
seasons
quiet
noise
sunshine
The smell of Christmas that can now be enjoyed all across Hardin Valley... You're welcome!
And, always... for Hope... knowing that I must remember the truth of The Good Book... we are all glory bound!  No matter what... I am bound for glory... I can't mess it up.  
And, I fully know that in heaven there will be no need for neti pots or chainsaws.  And that makes me smile and gives me eyes that look for the things also given.  Like... 
 little boys and their toys and hearts that love to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment