About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Screaming

Today Charli decided to scream and squawk quite a bit. If you don’t know the story of Charli, the abbreviated version is…she is a triplet. Her identical twin brothers are with Jesus. They all arrived far too early. Miracle after miracle… and Charli’s here. Her journey has been marked with great struggle. When born, she weighed 1 lb. and 9 oz.

Anyways, like I said, today she screamed a lot. Nothing was wrong. She was trying to say, “I don’t like how things are right now. I’d like to be held, and I’m very tired.” That’s what she said. I understand her little baby talk. However, what her screams and squawks communicated to me were something very different. They communicated to me that she has become very strong and healthy. Very sickly babies are not able to scream and squawk. We’ll just say she’s got some volume these days. She’s getting much stronger. Not only that, but she has also become very opinionated. That must come from her mom‘s side of the family. Because her screams communicate that she’s so much stronger now, sometimes I almost enjoy them… sometimes.

Do you see how what she said was different than what she communicated? This afternoon and then later tonight I had an interesting conversation with Kelly about a podcast sermon we had both listened to… let’s just say that what I said about the sermon involved scripture and analysis. However, what was communicated was, “Adam is overly critical. He’s often unable to glean the good that can be gleaned because his arrogance is so deafening.” That’s what was communicated.

At the end of the conversation Kel asked me, “What is your heart communicating right now?” Again, not what am I saying, but what is it communicating. (maybe you’ve heard me say the worn out cliché, “communication is not what’s said, but what’s heard”). Well, I think my heart is communicating, “Help.” Feeling pretty powerless these days. Seems lack of control has a way of weakening pride. Again, not necessarily a fun thing, but it’s a really good thing.

I wonder what other things I’m communicating as I scream and squawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment