About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Being Real

I made mention of a Larry Crabb book in a previous post that I was reading recently.  Still processing much of it and I will want to process it via the blog more too... however, before I go back and re-read the underlined sections in that book I've started a new book.

For some reason when I got turned on to Christian literature I did not allow myself to read anything outside of the genres of Christian counseling, Christian living, theology, etc. for at least 12 years.  I think my mind was stuck in this pragmatic way of thinking that everything must serve a purpose.  Well, a friend gave me a book that was not Christian literature.  After that 12 years I decided to break the fast and read it.  I loved it.  I think I began learning that there's much value in fun... much value in play... for the sake of fun and play.

Well, the new book that I'm reading is simply a "for fun" book.  It's about a man who moved into the Alaskan wilderness in the late 1960's by himself.  He builds his own log cabin from scratch.  He learns to live off the land.  The book is basically his journal.  Like normal it was one of those things that I saw, but then I didn't buy.  Fortunately, I found it the next day for half price.  So, I began the book very excited about this story of adventure.  Not sure why these types of adventure and the adventurous spirit of this man draw such passion out of me.

So far the book stinks.  The author is very eloquent in the way  he describes the landscape, the hard manual labor, etc.  However, I've found myself starting to strongly dislike the book because it's written from a perspective I've grown to dislike.  The author writes as if everything is great... all the time.  Nothing negative happens.  There are no frustrations, no disappointment... not even loneliness!  I'm not saying that I love it when someone has the personality of Eyore from Winnie the Pooh, but man I am more and more drawn to an authentic, real heart.  My wife posted a picture that said, "Beautiful Mess."  She is truly a beautiful mess.  "Beautiful" is not a strong enough word to describe her though.  She is real if anyone I know is real, and it's awesome.

Seems after living most of my life not allowing myself to feel very strong emotions... living most of my life not having much of an opinion about anything... well, I'm finally feeling quite strong emotions, and I'm extremely opinionated.  Watch out... I'll probably leave a trail of messiness behind me.  My response right now to that is, "Oh well..."

No comments:

Post a Comment