About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Invention

I have a couple invention ideas.  Kel and I have talked about creating something that would allow us to retire.  I love ministry, and I'd continue to do it even if I was retired;  however, we really love being together more than anything.  I like to try to dream of ways to make that happen more often.  I've told myself that I'm temporarily on retirement right now, but usually my mind quickly reminds me of the need for a job.

Anyways, we've asked ourselves what we could invent.  There have been some crazy things that have done well... i.e. silly bands (seriously, just rubber bands in different shapes?), re-usable coffee cups that look like Starbucks' disposable cups, etc.  My big idea hit me many, many years ago.  I invented the stackable washer and dryer.  When the clothes are done being washed, they would fall down into the dryer.  The weight would trigger the dryer to begin.  Pretty clever, huh?  I never acted on it.

Now I've got a couple more inventions / ideas.  The first one... I could sell used Bibles.  I realize they'd have to be in the newest, coolest translation.  I would buy new Bibles, but then I would put great wear and stress on them.  The leather would be cracked and worn.  I would highlight, underline and scribble all throughout the Bible.  Even if I just marked completely random passages it wouldn't matter.  Those who see those markings would assume God gave you a "special revelation" in them that was too deep for them to grasp.  Purchasing this Bible would immediately give Bible righteousness to its holder.  It's just an idea.

Second idea... (these are all targeted at Christians) I could sell a product that has quotes from the Christian fathers.  It would focus on pre-15th Century authors / theologians / preachers... especially obscure authors.  The instructions would include how to present the quote with such confidence that it's communicated so that the one saying it says it as if everyone would already know that quote (sorry for the wordiness).  This would help in our Christian games.  Maybe I could win more often.

Third idea... I could sell an app that takes a picture of you on Sundays so that you never run the risk of wearing the same outfit two consecutive weeks in a row.  What do you think?   

I know... they're not the greatest ideas.  I guess I share them because I've been thinking so much about relational sin.  We all have behavioral sins, but I think for most of us we're much more guilty of relational sins.  These are the sins of how we interact with people, think of people, treat people, judge people... One example is when we feel like we have something we need to prove in conversation.  We need the other person to know that we know something or can do something.  Another relational sin is avoiding conflict.  Another one is bitterness... man, the list is too easy.  Each of the products I thought of to sell enables relational sin.

I've been challenged.  I've taught students not to rank sin.  We need to call it for what it is.  The reality of actually selling any of those products (although slightly funny) is as gross as prostitution.  I share that as I sit convicted of the sins I commit in the context of relating to you and others.  Rather than feeling beat up about it, I think it's allowing me to be more humbled by grace.  I am grossed out by my sin, but I am a little more aware of the magnitude of grace... I have to admit that it is extremely strange (and unlike me) to enjoy grace rather than live under guilt management.  Again, I'd like to keep this pattern of response as opposed to the guilt-ridden one.  At the same time I know I'll spend plenty more time with my buddy, Mr. Guilt soon.  He has a way of finding me.  In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy grace and hope.

By the way, I'm not going to sell those products after all.  However, if you choose to try to market them, I might sue for copyright infringement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment