About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Farewell "Party?"

Last night was my Farewell Party.   
Didn’t really feel like partying.  I was glad that they agreed we shouldn’t call it a “celebration.”  Actually, to be completely honest I had hoped it would get rained out…I know that sounds terrible.  I’m embarrassed to share that.  I think I wanted to avoid the awkward (the exact opposite of what I’d like to be about!).  The time was really sweet.  It was such a delight to get to be with the people who were there.  Truly!  The hard part was just that I didn’t get to give anyone as much time as I really wanted to give them.  I could have gladly spent the entire evening with any single individual who was present.
Back to the “awkward” stuff… I’m really glad that the “party” (sounds funny to call it that) did happen.  Hoping to be more intentional about pressing into the awkward.  Hoping that pressing into the hard and uncomfortable becomes a distinctive of my life… for the sake of knowing Him and loving better. 
One dear friend asked me if the night felt like a wedding.  I didn’t say it out loud, but it definitely felt more like a funeral.  Painfully, it did feel more like a death rather than the birth of something new and exciting represented by a wedding.  The farewell event did provide closure to the end of a chapter.  I think the event made me more sad about the close of that chapter though.  It reminded me of how much I’ll miss some really precious people.  The good news is that there will be another chapter.  As I was reminded a week ago, it’s a wonderful story.  It’s His story.  Unfortunately, there are some extremely difficult chapters. 
There were some awesome moments in the night.  Many of them actually… however, one that was an extra rich blessing had to do with Charli.  This might have been her first exposure to the masses.  It was cool to get to show her off.  Throughout the pregnancy with the triplets, Kelly and I were blessed beyond measure with a very wise and godly doctor who walked with us in that journey.  He went above and beyond the call of duty.  He grieved when we grieved.  He celebrated when we celebrated.  He continues to press into the awkward and confusing for the sake of love.  He actually delivered Charli, Lincoln and Tucker.  This man is my dear friend, Bobby.  Below is a picture of Bobby holding little Charli (who is quite a bit bigger than when he delivered her over 14 months ago).

Hope seems to be birthed in tragedy.  The picture of Charli being held by Bobby seems to illustrate hope to me.  I’m going to cling to hope.  This picture illustrates a hope fulfilled.  It also inspires hope for more in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment