About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Nick

It feels like I'm doing field research lately, but I'm really just very curious.

I've met quick a few fascinating people lately.  Although I'm an intravert I've been strangely more intentional about pursuing conversation of greater depth (even with strangers) than I have in the past.  Maybe that's all part of this newer freedom I'm beginning to taste.

One of the people I met is a guy named, "Nick."  Nick is an Australian that lives primarily in Canada, but he's lived all over the world.  He still travels all over the world.  Nick is in his upper 40's, and he is an endurance sport athlete.  He competed (and still competes) at a very high level... basically with the best.  From my conversations I could gather that Nick is very intelligent.  He has very strong opinions about things, and he's rather fond of being the expert (as am I... oh wait, I'm not really an expert on anything though). 

As conversation developed with Nick I was grateful that he didn't shy away from talking or change drastically once it was revealed that I'm a pastor.  Usually, that's a great way to end a conversation with a non-believer.  Nick continued to carefully and skillfully weave profanity throughout his stories.  Although he is not a Christian, he professes to be very spiritual.  That statement always makes me feel very strange.  Maybe I'll explore that another time.  Anyways, he shared about a blog he's been doing.  Sounds like he might be getting it published.  Included in the blog Nick was very open about struggling with depression.  He didn't want a clinically trained professional to try to give him a quick fix.  That didn't do anything for him.  His depression stemmed from an injury.  No longer was he able to perform at the high level in his sport.  Seemed like he had lost his identity.  In many ways he was treated as if he had lost his identity.  He was no longer accepted by his community.

Screaming from Nick's story were the following:  desire to be authentic even when culture teaches him not to be, desire to have community, desire to have an identity that is not based on his performance, desire to give others hope who have struggled with similar things.

Man, we'll just say that I could relate.  There is so much Nick in me that it's crazy.  Interesting how God has wired us.  Praying for my new friend Nick's heart to encounter Jesus.  Also thinking through the times I've done "church" without Christ being a part of it... Meaning, I've been like Nick.  I've pursued relationships, community, shared hope, etc., but I haven't made Christ the center and focus of it all.  Grateful for that raised awareness today, but saddened by the unpleasantness of reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment