About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

walk like an Egyptian?

Today is the Sabbath.  It is a day designed to bring rest and new life.  It is a day that is meant to be holy, different.   As Adam has mentioned we are discussing what the Sabbath might look like for the Vaughan family.  We have been living in disobedience in this area, partly, because of unawareness and partly because of sin.  We are also creatures of fear and creatures who ridiculously, like the Israelites, choose enslavement. 
I have lived in some form of slavery all of my life.  All are related to the sins of my flesh.  I don’t want to be a slave anymore.
Our culture is addicted to chaos.   We feel  the need to surround ourselves with busyness and noise.  We also buy into the lie that we must be available to all people at all times.  I hate both of these lies.
What is God’s heart regarding the Sabbath?  I am a baby on this journey.  I am thankful to say that I do not have the 7 steps to the highly effective Sabbath.  I do, however, sense that God is inviting me to enjoy, play, feast, invest, worship and rest and so much more.   Instead of resisting the Sabbath I want to anticipate it.  I want to view it as a weekly vacation from the chaos that is my life.
Our Sabbath should invite the world to recognize that we serve a Holy God, and our lives and weeks look very different from the worlds.  Right now, the Vaughans are just blending in.  I am sad that I haven’t been a light to the dark in this area, and I am convicted that I have been choosing to walk in disobedience.
It seems like many pastors and families think they have a “get out of jail free” card when it comes to observing the Sabbath.    After all, we have to work on Sundays.  Our children have asked us good questions about how pastors “do” Sabbath.  We have been disobedient.  Our children see it and so do we.
I don’t want to continue to choose chaos.  I don’t want to cry out for the hardships of Egypt because it’s familiar.    I don’t want to choose routine, fear, or busyness.   My God is not a taskmaster.   I am a slave no longer.  I want to celebrate that freedom.  I want to take the Sabbath gift and remember, recall and reflect what God has done, is doing and will continue to do. 
I want to Sabbath so well that my children long for it each week.  I want to create a “God-spaced margin.”  I want to imitate the character of God in my resting.  I am a woman that longs to honor and enjoy the Sabbath.  I am learning.
What is it that I feel like I can’t say no to?  Is it my work?  Is it my spending?  Is it my busyness or my agenda?   What is it that has such a grip on my heart or life that I cannot or will not Sabbath from it, and what am I declining in the midst of that?   I am asking myself these questions.   So much to learn….today the Vaughans motion towards the Sabbath.  I look forward to sharing what God is up to.
It feels a little scary to say “no” to what I know.  Routine is safe.  But, I am discovering that just like deep slumber is good for the body and soul so is resisting the urge to continue.  God meant the Sabbath to be a gift, a blessing and a day to honor the One who is worthy of our ceasing.   Excited for what God might have for us today as we desire Him more than slavery.


           Emmiline enjoying some Sabbath rest.....looks inviting to me...glad for a calm start to a Holy day.
                                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment