About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

birthday party

                                                                                       
                                                                                  

God is up to some serious business in me these days.  I am seeing Him everywhere.  Today, I am full of delight.  I am enjoying.  I am celebrating.  I am hungry.  I am choosing to see, taste, and recount.  I am seeing HIS presence and I feel exhaustingly ALIVE. 

I don't often feel this way.  Most days I feel quite the opposite.  Today, I am drinking deeply.

I recently had some retreat time with a special sister and lots of the Holy Spirit.  Oh, how I need all parts of the Trinity.  I look forward to processing all that God started that weekend.  I wholly believe it will take my lifetime to process, and I still won't uncover it all.  It was rich.  It was heavy.  It was other.

I have been gleaning a lot lately.  Gleaning is a term I learned when I was on staff at Cedar Springs.  I was responsible for leading a time of gleaning blackberries in a field belonging to someone I didn't know and then taking the berries to share with the "less fortunate."  As I glean in others fields, I am that...."less fortunate," and I feel incredibly rich that other women would extravagantly share their harvests with me.  Which brings me to my point of today's entry.                                      

I have so enjoyed my reading time.  I have what I like to call "small brain syndrome."   I am aware that I can be a little slow.  It's how I've been made.  It's why I can relate well with children.  My brain thinks like one.  Yesterday, as I was drinking deeply, I was radically touched by the writings of a particular woman.  Radically moved.  My heart was marked.  Today, God used her example to bestow honor and blessing upon my husband. 

This morning I had a walk in the steamy air that fills my neighborhood.  As I was walking the Holy Spirit initiated an invitation.  He invited me to be a part of renaming my husband.  Remember, the two of us are often at war these days.  I love him, but this is a trying season for us both. 

Most of you are aware that we have a million "love names for our children."  Shorty, Lu, Bud, Panda...these are the main ones.  I love that they have a love name.  They are gifts that express our delight in our children.  A few hours ago, the Spirit game me a new name for Adam.  It started as one word.  Pastor.  As I continued the conversation the name grew.  A few weeks ago, as we shared life words with Adam on Father's Day.  Emmiline spoke what I would call a prophetic word over Adam.  She called him "Good Pastor."  I was and am still deeply moved by the eyes of our daughter and her courage to speak such words.


                                                                                    
                                                                                    


What am I saying in all this?  I am saying that from now on my love name for my husband will be Good Pastor.  Our children have been invited, without pressure, to join in this new name for Adam.  I am sure it might be confusing for Him, for us, for you, but from now on I will seek to call him Good Pastor.  I do not call him this becuase he is good, but because the Spirit issued and invitation and I have accepted.   For it is the Spirit that lives in Adam and makes him what he is.....Good Pastor.


                                                                                    

                                                                    Happy Birthday!
            Revelation 2:17  Here's to hidden manna and a white stone with a new name written on it. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Kelly Vaughan... I LOVE THIS!

    I love new names. I am thankful for new names. I am thankful for the gleaning you did in my life (I don't know if I used that word correctly... haha!) Thank you for this.

    love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. so very beautiful and so very appropriate. Adam is a good pastor and "Good Pastor" is a perfect name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet picture of a Good and Faithful God to give you this/these word{s}. What a rich heritage you are building in your family… both the genetic family, and His extended family. Thankful for your obedience to the call to be vulnerable and open and honest.
    He has blessed you with the gift of sharing. In words, In pictures, In ideas. You are a treasure. A shining gemstone in His crown.

    ReplyDelete