About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Logic is limiting

Going to share a few quotes from a book I’m reading.  Not going to share the book’s title or author.  Afraid if I do you’ll come in with preconceived feelings / thoughts either for or against it.  Just want to let it be what it is without anyone projecting any connotations / biases on it.  God’s using this stuff to chisel away at my ugly pride…
"Our spirit is where the Holy Spirit dwells.  Our spirit is alive and well and is ready to receive great things from God.  When I filter everything through my mind and remove what isn't immediately logical, I extract much of what I really need...”
“Usually those who use the natural mind to protect themselves from deception are the most deceived.  They've relied on their own finite logic and reason to keep them safe, which is in itself a deception.”
“Our hearts can embrace things that our heads can't.  Our hearts will lead us where our logic would never dare to go.  No one ever attributes the traits of courage and valor to the intellect or the strength of human reasoning.  Courage rises up from within and gives influence over the mind..."
"God must violate our logic to invite us away from the deception of relying on our own reasoning."
These have been good words for me to chew on for the last two days.  God’s bigger than my logic.  I openly communicate that I know my theology is not perfect.  However, what would it be like to functionally live knowing that it’s not perfect?  Maybe I’d realize “my finite logic” can accidentally and arrogantly “overrule” a mysterious and amazing God.  Hope that made sense.  I know God is the God of order.  I know He can’t do anything definitionally (logically) impossible… like make a 4 sided triangle.  That’s just a dumb proposition anyways.  I’m just saying He’s far greater than our logic.  I’m learning not to disregard things simply because I can’t explain them. 
Very refreshing thoughts… convicting too though.  Grateful for them.  Grateful He’s so much bigger.  Grateful for the chiseling away of some of the arrogance.

No comments:

Post a Comment