About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rat

Writing this blog has been such a healthy thing for my heart.  It’s functioned something like Jeremiah’s lamenting.  It’s really forced me to be so attentive to what God is saying to me… to what is stirring within me.  On my own I’m not that attentive.  The truth is that it is exhausting.  Truly.  So tiring.  It’s a good thing though.  Glad to be tired and hyper-attentive now than simply going through the motions brainlessly… completely unaware of what’s happening internally.
I’m still processing some of the same things I’ve mentioned before.  Kelly and I are still discussing them.  The two main things on my mind are still the Sabbath and the church.  What should the Sabbath look like?  What do I do with Hebrews 4?  When I say, “church,” I’m not referring to a specific church.  I just want to know what church should and could look like.  What does God want from me in terms of forming it (through Him in me)?  Much wrestling.
Sometimes I just need some time to be shallow.  Sometimes I just need time to play… time that’s seemingly meaningless (although it’s not).  Because of that I’d just like to share something very shallow that happened today.  Maybe I'm abusing that I have a platform to share it, but I'm doing it anyways. 

This morning I killed a rat.  I had seen it in the garage yesterday.  Not sure how it got there… probably a living chew toy of the neighbor’s predatory cat… only he got away.  I tried to get him yesterday.  Actually, I tried to make a snare with some scrap pieces of bamboo.  Somehow the rat disappeared.  I thought he had left.  This morning Kelly saw him again.  Fortunately, I caught up with him.  I smushed his head with a 2 x 4.  Then I carried him and tossed him to a place where I would no longer have to look at him. 
Yes, I killed an animal today.  As I’ve said before, I’m a wild man now.  Look out world.  Don’t mess with me.  Be extra careful if you see me carrying a 2 x 4.  I’ll apologize later.  Killing this rat is not a metaphor that I’m going to use to illustrate how God has been teaching me something.  I just wanted to share with you that I killed a rat.  That’s it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment