About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Monday, July 11, 2011

Out of Context

This morning I got up, took a shower and headed out the door with my planner, books and Bible in hand.  It felt awesome.  It felt so normal to do something so similar to my old routine.  I went to Kelly’s dad’s back porch (which is a piece of heaven).  Had such an amazing time.
Why did it feel so good?  It felt like an addict might feel when he goes back to his drug.  What is functioning as my drug?  Is it normalcy?  Is it the false sense of security from a steady paycheck?  Maybe security isn’t meant to come from money.  I’ll process that, but I’ll still enjoy that it was so enjoyable. 
Last night I was re-reading a passage that I’ve read many times.  Maybe you remember this passage from Hebrews 4:12 & 13, “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.”  I’ve heard that passage quoted a hundred times.  Somehow I missed the context.  This passage comes right after the verse telling us to make every effort to enter the Sabbath rest!  It comes after a large passage talking about the Sabbath.  The power and importance of surrendering to the command and embracing the invitation to Sabbath… well, it hit me really powerfully when I read the above verse attached to that call!  That verse is saying God knows our hearts when and if we pursue the Sabbath. 
Not sure what your response is to that.  I want to be really careful about taking scripture out of context.  I know God’s word is all of those things mentioned in that verse at all times; however, again the context it is written in is that of observing the Sabbath!  Man, I’m not totally sure what to do with this, but I know I can’t stay the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment