About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

a fool's gold

My princesses and I have been studying the important story of Christopher Columbus... apparently their is more to his story than just the rhyme about "sailing the ocean blue."  We dove into his life full steam ahead... alive with curiosity.  We searched, and we came out with treasure.

Brother Christopher, I believe was a man after God's heart.  His journals had much to say about his desire to spread his faith to the nations... his story is also one of great storms.... storms that maybe didn't have to be.

It is good for me to ponder his story... a man that started out with a holy calling got lost in a sea of wicked distraction.
Sometimes I think God-followers believe the lie that they are immune to trickery... especially when rowing in the boat of obedience.  We forget that this is when the enemy works his hardest to capsize.  We are fragile people... we too easily lose focus when tossed by the wind.

Christopher's voyages were filled with hardships, prayers, cries, fatigue, wealth, gold, greed,  storms, brokenness, death and most importantly, God's faithfulness.

As the girls and I read on and on about the expeditions we were amazed at how his heart changed... it started seeking God's fame... it ended with his fame being in and of the gold... a fool's treasure.
It broke us as we read.  We were in awe and yet we could relate... it's easy to see how the temptation of the shiny could trump the seemingly silent.  Seeking and living for earthly treasure is fool's gold.  It tricks and deceives.

Our God is jealous, but He doesn't strive to be flashy... He is all-powerful... all-knowing... an ever present love... and yet He hides for us to seek, and He whispers in the wind so we will be still and listen.

Today I am evaluating my own story.  It is easy to start out strong with faith's vision and then get sideswiped by a new "treasure."  Gold... a fool's delight.  It became the Christ-bearers first love, and it drove him to things that stole from his very name.  I see my reflection in this story.  I too choose the foolish.

I set out on my voyage... all fired up... determined....focused and then the sparkle of man and selfish desires of my heart get twisted, and I lose control.  Shipwrecked I am.

Wow!  So thankful for a God that tames storms... He speaks power and He speaks love.  And He sings romance over my story of expedition.

I do not know all the ends and out of Columbus' story... I do know that he often traded Christ's riches for man's rags of earthly prosperity.  Treasure of the world... excess and greed taking over... cluttering and possessing the eyes...
I do not judge... I relate... with sadness and longing for my own travels to be different.

I do not want to lose focus.  I do not want to compromise.  I want my arms to be free of the earthly so I am open to embrace the heavenly.   I want to set my sails on the wild seas in full confidence... focused on the prize...

Singing songs of repentance and protection today.  For when I am weak He is so very strong.  I don't want any trophies of fool's gold on the shelves of my life and heart...

I know what I don't always live... He is my only treasure... He alone brings life and satisfies...

Continuing to combat the gold of fools and embrace the high calling of teaching the next generation... and they... with their own hearts and hands... sculpt reminders of the mission... bringing HOPE to the nations.

No comments:

Post a Comment