About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Whining

Life is really good. Got to have a great date night with my bride last night. Enjoyed treasure hunting (going to garage sales) this morning. Spent time with some people who are very dear to us this afternoon. Got to worship with a body of believers tonight.

Unfortunately, I really feel like whining and complaining right now. Realized I can't call it lament because it's not true lament. It's more of a martyr, “woe is me,” whining attitude. As opposed to grieving, I'm wanting to simply complain.

Been battling my washing machine for the last hour and a half. Since I lost my job... well, it seems that everything's been falling apart. That's not a metaphor. I'm actually not talking about anything relationally or internally. Literally, we've been plagued with a lot of surprises in terms of random things that have decided to stop working. It's like they say, “Timing is everything.”

Wanting to change my attitude from, “Seriously?!? Now this! Why is this happening?” to, “I wonder what God's up to...” Wish it were that easy to change my attitude.

Just remembered a few of thoughts shared by a friend to me today. She was sharing the struggle of wanting to be sensitive, tender and compassionate to friends who are struggling. At the same time... when their struggles are really quite trite and insignificant, there's a desire to say, “Really? You're that upset over this? Are you serious?”

As the Spirit caused me to remember her comments, I'm embarrassed by my whining. Not guilting myself for being frustrated. Simply embarrassed that I'd let such minutia have such control over me.

Also reminded by this friend to simply remember truth. Not sure why I forget this so often. He is for me. He is with me. His Spirit is in me.
Seems the Israelites got some pretty severe punishments for complaining so much. I'd like to avoid that... especially the punishment by snakes.

Trying to choose gratitude, but complaining seems to come much more naturally. (I'm actually quite good at it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment