About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hodge Podge

Why “Hodge Podge?” Well, I watched the Great Food Truck Road Race tonight with Kel. The team that won tonight calls themselves, “Hodge Podge.” Have a feeling that tonight's ramblings will be a hodge podge of random, unrelated thoughts.
Not sure how you're viewing this image, but if you're able... please zoom in on my brother-in-law's face.  It's so worth it.



First off, I had an absolute blast at the Warrior Dash yesterday. So much fun. As you look at this picture, if you're able to draw your eyes away from my brother-in-law's game face (he didn't know he was being photographed... he was that determined!)... anyways, if you can look away from his face, you can see we were covered in mud and muck. Even after the awkward rinse off with a few dozen strangers and a shower when I got home, I still found traces of the warrior dash crusted to my body.

In the same way this afternoon I found some ugly crust that I hadn't thought about in a long, long time. Healing came this afternoon. The “crust” was hard places in my heart toward someone I barely know any more. I became aware of how I had harbored dislike... and even frustration. Encouraged that I feel like that was somehow washed away today.

The other main thought on my mind tonight has to do with son, Elliott. Instead of calling him, “Little Buddy,” which makes sense since I'm, “Big Buddy,” he likes for us both to be, “Big Buddy.” It makes perfect sense in his mind. So, my big Buddy is my best bud. At the same time sometimes he relentless and unceasingly shoots his assault rifle at me... what I mean by that is his barage of questions never stops. Some of you might not believe that he can even talk, but believe me... he never stops talking. I love to read him books (b/c he loves books), but he's asking so many questions about each picture that I can't even make it through a sentence without at least a couple questions.

Even if I've given him an answer to a question he will continue to ask that same question... whether he likes the answer or not. He just enjoys talking. Below is a picture taken after he asks a questions I hear every morning, “Daddy, can I have a sip of your juice?”

When I go in to check on Elliott late at night, he often still blasts me with questions (when he should be sleeping). Last night when I went in there around 10pm he asked the following questions: “Daddy, are the lightning bugs out? Can I go see them? Are they changing colors? Why are they changing colors? Do they make noise? Where are they? Why? How? When can I see them?” I had just planned on making sure he was covered up... maybe kissing him on his sweet head while he slept. Somehow he hadn't emptied the question bank for the night.

That has me thinking a little tonight. The church position I've mentioned in the past... the one in Ohio that I've interviewed at... well, they had another candidate visit them this weekend. He left today. Feels rather strange... especially since I'd really like to be offered the position. As I think about that position and the future of my family, I have talked to God quite a bit. However, I really haven't asked many questions. I don't ask God that many questions at all. Sounds crazy since He is all-knowing after all... and He's good. Instead, as I've reflected on my conversations with Him, I've mostly just given polite commands. “Lord, please lead... provide direction,... speak,..” etc. Pretty insane that I haven't asked more questions.

Painfully curious about the Lord's plans for my family and I. Many questions tonight. Hoping for some closure on a few this week. Anticipating He'll reveal more crust and gunk on me and in me through the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment