About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Community


I've mentioned how Charli likes to crawl into me... somewhat like a tank. Literally, she drops her head and rams into me. Today I was so sweaty (and she had just taken a bath), and she kept trying to head-butt me and climb on me. Not wanting to hurt her feelings...yet, I didn't want to get her sweaty and stinky. I repeatedly slithered away from her. Let me make sure you know that Charli is not an affectionate child. Although she often wants to be held, she does not ever want to cuddle. Even when you hold her she usually stiff-arms you to make sure you don't get the wrong idea about cuddling. Still, I feel like it's so obvious even in her little heart that she longs for relationship... connection with others.

Aware of something to a greater extent than I've ever been aware of it. Having talked to so many different people lately... people who do not know each other at all... the thing they all seem to have in common is that they all deeply long for community. I'm talking about pastors, high school and college-aged students, single adults, married couples... everyone. Truly, can't think of anyone who does not long for community to some extent.

However, the longing is often coupled with frustration. Maybe we all feel alone in this longing. Maybe we have no idea how to get it. Maybe we're just too afraid to be authentic. Maybe we can't find people with whom we'd like to have it. Not sure.

Kelly phrased it this way... we're often so afraid to take the risk it takes to enter into community (I mean real, intimate community). However, we're actually risking so much more when we're unwilling to take that risk. You might have to re-read that to grab it. I had to ask her to dumb it down for me and repeat it. When we're too afraid to take the risk of entering into community, we're actually taking a greater risk by living without it. Meaning, without community, we're actually living... 1) in a way that is not how God intended, 2) in a way that is dangerous (isolation can be very dangerous), 3) that is not nearly as conducive to the growth expected of us... 4) it's just very empty too.

Still longing for more. Wanting something different. Wanting to be a part of facilitating community. Want to be able to lead toward more.

No comments:

Post a Comment