About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

boogers on my wall

Before I ever dreamed of actually doing a blog, I used to pretend I was going to write one and name it "boogers on my wall."  I thought the title would attract and if you are reading this right now I must be right.

At that season I kept finding boogers smeared across my walls.  This is not a spiritual analogy... literally... I was finding the crusty you-know-whats everywhere.  DISGUSTING... I know... it totally unnerved me.  It was a glimpse into my world... still is.

Do you see her?
She is super lovely, don't you think?  She radiates love and passion as well as exterior beauty.  This princess that can literally take your breath away is the guilty one.  It took awhile to get the confession.  I was suspicious of her all along.

I think my heart knew it was here because we are so much alike.  It just sounded like something I would've done.  Too lazy to do what was right so I chose the most convenient.  I think we often believe our poor choices are only bad if we get caught.  

The booger bandit retired for a good, long season... but tonight I noticed her markings.  Right outside her bedroom walls for all to see... so gross.  I was so agitated.  I thought we were done with that.  I thought my "talking to" had worked.  I was wrong.  

Immediately, I called all the smalls for a meeting.  I asked who's work it was... fully knowing.  The middle princess raised her hand... she was amused and embarrassed at the same time.  The mama did not share in the humor.  Instead, she issued orders and gave warnings regarding her future should it happen again.

This yuck out of such beauty...

You should know that out of anyone living in my home I would want my heart to be most like Princess Eloise... 
I have yet to meet someone who loves and serves as well as she.  Heart like hers... yes!  Hygiene... NO!

I am always amazed at all the ways God uses to teach this booger cleaner.  

The last two days I have really been struggling with some issues and sins that I thought had died... well, they hadn't ... they were just dormant.  I was so broken and frustrated to see these life stealers resurface.  Are you serious?  Where have they been hiding?  In the dark... they had been forgotten, but they weren't gone.  

Much like Eloise and the boogers on my wall, God reminds...  I possess great beauty, but there are still unsightly things in me.  Things He wants to help clean.  I must choose what to do with these.  I have been doing some digging... a very different kind than Eloise... but digging nonetheless... asking myself and my Maker why I struggle with these things... most of which can be drawn back to fear.

Striving is stirred when I believe the lie that the beauty He created is not enough.  When I feel I must manufacture more... that's when the mess on the wall is clearly seen.

I feel compelled in my heart to apologize to all who have been hurt by my striving.  I am deeply saddened.  I long for more.  I am still learning.   

I am so thankful that just like Eloise is seeing a better way to deal with her messes so am I.  I don't want to wipe my messes on things or others... I want them to be cleaned.

Crazy that even crusty boogers can speak to my crusty heart.  

So blessed to desire more clean than mess. Thankful that my heart aches more about not accurately reflecting the Father than worrying about how I might look.  It's a snails pace over here on Ridgegate Lane... but, I'm taking it.

2 comments:

  1. i love how God speaks to us in even the most random ways. great post (even if it was a little gross! - ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I love your thoughts here! It is frustrating to me that sun is always crouching at our door, no matter how greatly we want to follow our Father. I guess it keeps us in daily dependence on his grace, but it sure can be discouraging. Just love your writing. I'm so glad I found you again after all these years!

    ReplyDelete