About Us

Not too much to say (at least not yet)... no long list of credentials... just a story that's worth sharing. I'm Adam Vaughan. My wife, Kelly, will also be sharing. We have 6 children. Our two sons, Lincoln and Tucker, have gone to be with the Lord. The remaining four with us are Emmiline, Eloise, Elliott and Charli. Charli is a triplet. Her brothers Lincoln and Tucker are identical twins. They're dancing with Jesus right now, and they're not sad about it at all!

Saturday, December 17, 2011

beauty not forgotten

Christmas is approaching so much faster than I enjoy... it happens this way every year.  The thief of time robs, and I lament.  My heart is heavy as I feel the call not to forget the beauty that is alive in this season.  I smile as I think of the Elvis music that is playing perpetually this time of year over here on Ridgegate Lane.  You know, it's the one where he dramatically sings, "If everyday could be just like Christmas what a wonderful world this would be."  I think he is 100% correct as long as he is talking about adoring Jesus and not kissing under the mistletoe.  I don't want to forget the beauty.  I long to celebrate Emmanuel the whole year through.

Some days ago my smalls and I got to spend some time with a special lady in our family.  She is the mother to Adam's mom's husband... were you able to follow?  Anyway, she is currently living apart from her prince.  Partners representing commitment beauty now in two, separate assisted facilities.  The story would cause any heart to mourn... grieve what was and is no longer.  The toll of life is taking their very minds, and it impacts all who love them.

She came for a visit, and we had the rare and blessed opportunity to remind her of her royalty.
The eldest of our princesses bestowed a crown of beauty... small hands blessing and reminding the wise of not what was but what is... beauty.  The middle princess giving her gift of smiles and affection... she too sees and values.

It strikes the beauty that she would be celebrated in such a way.  She is taken back.  I am reminded how our culture and my own heart only value beauty for a season.  This breaks me.

We remind the beauty of truth and share with our eyes what she can no longer see or even read.
Options on a silver platter are presented to the royal... she may choose what delights her... for we value the beauty she sees as well.
With great precision the art work begins... blessing hands that have served so hard and for so long.  Let us not curse the hands that bless just because the world whispers they have lost their beauty.  One hand receiving and the other blessing.
Love abounds in this moment and the ones to follow.
The art is complete.  The beauty sees it too.  For a moment she sees her beauty and believes again.  The beauty that is always there... never hidden... beauty that has more to offer with time... she sees.  

Oh, I am her, and she is me.  Pastor's wife scurrying through life while it slips through her very hands... forgetting that Advent doesn't have to end... believing the lie that beauty is for a season.   

But his beauty is not confined to an hourglass.  IT IS ALWAYS HERE... if I will just see.  I need not pay attention to what the world values... I just need to use these brown eyes matched with the eyes of my heart and remember beauty is here.

The next week will be similar to the last few... much to do in days much too short.  As I am here in my few moments of rare quiet I see better.  I see truth.  The "everyday Christmas" is an option if I so choose to take it.  I can live each day in the wonder of the price paid for me.  What a price... for a wretched beauty like me... all so that very beauty would be not forgotten... 

Christ in me... the HOPE of glory.




No comments:

Post a Comment